Hooray! Our long-awaited recipe plugin, Create by Mediavine, is now available in the WordPress plugin repository!
We're answering some of your frequently asked questions below! Feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, concerns or ideas.
What is so great about Create by Mediavine?
We're so glad you asked. The short answer? SO MUCH STUFF.
The main thing you need to know is it's an easy way to insert recipes and how-to instructions (and more types to come soon!) into your content.
The long answer? For starters, we have optimized it heavily for speed, SEO and monetization, and here's a list of features you can find within our plugin:
- Importers: We make it easy move your recipes from other recipe plugins to Create by Mediavine. It lets you choose what to import, validate an import and tweak the recipe before replacing the old card.
- SEO: We have added support for Recipe Schema Keywords and support for the Mediavine Video Player. We also support all image sizes.
- Real time Content Preview: See what your recipe will look like while you are writing it without having to take the extra step to "preview" your post in WordPress! (Preview is only of recipe text and does not reflect chosen Theme.)
- Multiple Recipes Allowed: Now you can have your cake (recipe) and icing (recipe) — and eat 'em too!
- Printable How-To Cards: Perfect for any kind of tutorial, allow users to print a copy of the instructions and mark your content up for SEO
- Automatic Nutrition Calculation: With the click of a button, calculate calories, carbs and more for each recipe you add.
- Dual Recipe Card Creation: Write your recipes in your post, or use a standalone tool.
- Mediavine Ad Integrations: Incorporate your Mediavine ads straight into your recipes to help your ads earn you even more money. You can also use embed our Mediavine video player!
- Recommended Products: Add affiliate links and images straight into your post.
- Pinterest Integration: Add a custom image and text so that your readers can Pin your recipes seamlessly.
- Customizable Ingredients: Paste your ingredients straight into your card. You can also add images, sort them into groups and drag-and-drop them.
- Smart Ratings: Our ratings come with Schema support for optimal SEO. All reviews require an email address in a GDPR-compliant way, and you can easily remove reviews from trolls.
- Author Attribution: Easily mark who wrote the recipe. Super handy if you have more than one recipe writer on your site!
- Video Embeds: Why not show and tell? Include a video with your recipes.
- State-of-the-Art Themes: Choose between five responsive layouts from Purr Design, each with a built-in Pinterest button, integrated ratings and a highlighted image.
And more! Coming soon, we're adding more recipe themes and importers for other recipe cards.
Will I be able to move all my recipes over from my current plugin?
At launch, we plan to have importers available from the following WordPress recipe plugins:
- Easy Recipe
- Meal Planner Pro
- Purr Designs
- Simple Recipes Pro
- WP Recipe Maker
- WP Tasty
- WP Ultimate Recipe
- Zip List
- Zip Recipes
In a future update, we plan to allow imports from all of the other major WordPress recipe card plugins.
How will the cards display?
Our cards are displayed using a WordPress shortcode.
This means that if the plugin is disabled, the recipes themselves will not display on the front end of a blog post. This is typical behavior for most WordPress plugins.
If the plugin is deactivated, no data will be deleted and reactivating the plugin will restore the original card display.
Will I be able to add nutritional data?
Yes! Nutritional data is an important part of Schema, which search engines love to have for optimal results.
Nutrition facts can be manually entered for a recipe. They will also transfer over if the recipe already contains it.
How much does it cost?
Create is free to the blogging community at large. You do not need to be a Mediavine publisher to use it. All core functions of the plugin will always remain free.
There are certain features that are available only to Mediavine bloggers, such as the ability to change ad frequency within the recipe card itself. We can't control other ad providers (nor would we want to!), so that feature only works if you're an MVP.
There may be features in future that non-MVPs would need to license for a fee, but the core functionalities will always remain free and supported for everyone — including plugin updates to keep Create in compliance with WordPress releases.